Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hard to Pigeonhole


I don't think I've mentioned yet just how excited I am for the new Supreme Court nomination of Sonia Sotomayor!
So I'll say it now.
I'm excited.
And while most of the Republican party tends to have a "just say no" to EVERYTHING approach, it's gonna be hard to pigeonhold Ms. Sotomayor. The likes of Cheney and Limbaugh (shudder) will do their best to make her appear "too liberal," "too activist," or "intemperate" . And yet, to turn her into a villian is to take a huge risk. They could end up losing the women vote and the Hispanic vote.


And while she has sided with defendants, inmates, and environmentalists, she's also made several conservative stances throughout her career. Plus, she has an impeccable upward-through-education-and-hard-work pedigree: She grew up in public housing in the Bronx, the daughter of a factory worker, and got a law degree from Yale.


What's not to like?


Cheney and Limbaugh will find something. It's just the way the world works.

5 comments:

Pseudo said...

Thank you for this post D'Arcy. I could not agree more.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora D'Arcy,
I agree completely. How is it that Cheney has become the voice of the far right? I would have thought after the Bush years he would have been quietly put out to pasture. My sense is that he is more concerned about his legacy in history than he really is for America. Limbaugh is simply a drugged out dolt.
Aroha,
Robb

Nubian said...

With regards to Cheney and Limbaugh.. I think their 15 minutes was over a LONG time ago!!

Fletch said...

I'll have to research her! She sounds interesting.

Gosh, do I automatically get lumped in with Cheney and Limbaugh if I'm a (grudging) republican? To quote Elvis, "Don't be cruel..."

ophelia rising said...

Yee-haw! I'm excited, too. Love how things are turning around...