Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Most Important Freedom of All

The White Rabbit. 
The Red Pill vs. The Blue Pill.
A Dream You Can't Shake.
                  Rebirth.
Renewal.
                                                                                                         The Matrix.
                                                Circular Paths.


What is your world like? Who and what influences you? What questions and dilemmas do you ponder? What evils do you struggle against? What reforms do you advocate? What makes you laugh and cry?

And are you willing to expand any of those, or do you see only evil beyond your little haven you've created? Are you willing to have the freedom that comes with your own enlightenment? Are you wiling to see that only through enlightenment comes your own empowerment?

One of the most shocking things in the world to me is meeting someone who believes they have it all figured out. And yet, I understand them completely because for the first 30 years of my life, I felt that I, too, had all the answers. But within those answers I felt powerless to have any say in my life's situations. I sat around and waited for a God (who seemed pretty cool) to give me everything I prayed for, which, of course, does not happen..which then makes you think either God is uncool, or YOU are uncool. I dig God, so I my only conclusion was that I must have been the uncool one in the equation. Which led to feelings of powerlessness for me. Believing I could not choose anything other than the path that was set before me had me stagnant and feeling like an Old Maid at the age of 27.

Luckily, I took a brave leap of faith and ventured outside the little Matrix I was comfortable in (and I'm not just talking about religion here). 

And I started to see the world differently. And I started feeling powerful.

Like superhero powerful. Like web was going to come shooting out of my wrists powerful. Like my golden tiara and lasso could stop airplanes in mid-flight powerful.

For your 4th of July viewing pleasure, I thought a Good Ole Fashion Top Ten List would be appropriate. Here they are! The top ten ways that I think people, especially women, give away their power.

Feel free to disagree with me. I would love to hear your comments! 


1. Asking others what you should do.
2. Thinking God decides who gets what.
3. Worrying about how your dream will come true.
4. Thinking you have dues to pay.
5. Attaching to unimportant details and outcomes.
6. Believing in soul mates.
7. Thinking karma or spiritual contracts are absolute.
8. Fear of anything.
9. Waiting for your ducks to line up before acting.
10. Choosing to be unhappy.


4 comments:

Katie said...

Good post. I have been going through a similar journey, seizing hold of my own power to work toward the things I want in my life (or first of all to identify what I would like to work toward. I would say another way to give away your power is prioritizing the wants of others before your own wants (or worse, your own needs). At the very least it is important to state your wants and needs to yourself and others, and accept that yours are just as valid as those of other people.

Katie said...

Ooops missed a parenthesis (after 'work toward'). I think it still makes sense.

Unknown said...

Yes! That is so true. I have a really hard time saying when I need and want things that involve other people. But, it's like any muscle, the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.

Katie said...

You might love this imagery... to continue the muscle metaphor... when you are doing strength training, you actually tear the muscle (very tiny tears), so then it is sore, but then it heals even stronger than it was before.

:)